At Allen Family Dentistry, the oral health of our younger patients is very important to us. Establishing proper oral hygiene habits with children is essential to maintaining healthy teeth and gums throughout adulthood. As firm believers in preventive dentistry, we strive to educate our patients so that they can avoid potentially costly and invasive procedures in the future. Our staff has provided some oral hygiene tips and facts below for parents and guardians.
- During pregnancy, women should avoid certain medications that may damage their baby’s tooth development. For example, some antibiotics can impede enamel development if taken during the second trimester.
- Children should see our dentist for an oral examination before their first birthday. At this examination, Dr. Jeffrey Allen will check your infant’s mouth for any abnormalities.
- Parents should wipe the inside of their infant’s mouth with a clean, wet cloth. This helps keep the gums clear of bacterial buildup while also stimulating oral tissues.
- When teeth begin to appear above the gum line, parents should brush their child’s teeth with a small, soft-bristled tooth brush until their child is able to brush his or her own teeth.
- Parents should supervise while their child brushes his or her teeth. Only a pea-sized amount of toothpaste should be used.
- Children should have their first dental cleaning at our office between the ages of four and five.
- If necessary, Dr. Allen may apply a fluoride solution to your child’s teeth to help strengthen tooth enamel. Fluoride greatly reduces your child’s risk for cavities.
We encourage parents in our community to help us establish a relationship with your children. If children have positive experiences with their dentist at a young age, they are less like to develop dental phobias in the future. We serve families from Pella, Oskaloosa, Knoxville, Newton, and Monroe.
An Invitation for Your Family
Dr. Jeffrey Allen provides comfortable dental care to patients of all ages. Call (641) 628-1121 today to schedule a checkup and cleaning, cosmetic consultation, or second-opinion visit. We are located on the west side of the historic town square in Pella, IA. Please see the map for directions.