Valentine’s Day celebrations go back for centuries. In fact, Ancient Romans celebrated a similar holiday on February 14th to worship the Roman goddess of love and marriage. Over the years, Valentine’s Day caught on in Europe. King Henry VII declared February 14th as Valentine’s Day in 1537. Ever since, people around the world have celebrated Valentine’s Day with vigor and passion. Below are some helpful hints from Dr. Jeffrey Allen and our staff to keep your teeth clean and your breath fresh for your sweetheart.
- Avoid foods like onions or garlic that cause bad breath. As part of the natural digestive process, these foods release odor when you exhale.
- Drink water throughout the day. Water helps rinse your mouth and remove food particles that contribute to halitosis.
- Keep your lips moist and hydrated by applying a lip balm every few hours.
- Schedule a dental cleaning before Valentine’s Day to remove tartar, plaque, and surface stains. You will leave our office knowing that your teeth are polished to perfection.
- If you need to freshen up your breath, look for mints and chewing gum that are sugarless and contain xylitol. This ingredient is a natural sugar substitute that doesn’t harm your teeth.
- Ask Dr. Allen if adding an antiseptic mouthwash to your daily oral hygiene regimen will help alleviate bad breath.
- Make sure to brush your teeth and rinse your mouth with water after you eat chocolate or candy.
We would like to wish all of our patients and readers a Happy Valentine’s Day. If you’re self-conscious about your smile or bad breath, our Pella dentist office can help!
An Invitation for Your Family
Dr. Jeffrey Allen provides comfortable dental care to patients of all ages. Call (641) 628-1121 today to schedule a checkup and cleaning, cosmetic consultation, or second-opinion visit. We are located on the west side of the historic town square in Pella, IA. Please see the map for directions.