Dental crowns are one of many cosmetic dental procedures. There are crowns, implants, bridges, dental bonding, and more. Crowns are less invasive than implants, but more invasive than dental bonding. Have you ever had a crown? If not, you may know someone who has. It is wise to be educated on dental treatments and procedures in case you may need one someday. Take our true or false quiz below to find out how much you know about dental crowns.
True or False?
- True or False: Dental crowns are also referred to as “caps.”
- True or False: Crowns can be fabricated with various materials.
- True or False: Crowns are used to replace a missing tooth.
- True or False: Crowns are used when a tooth is too decayed to hold a filling.
- True or False: Crowns are used for esthetic reasons only.
- True or False: Certain crown materials are used for certain areas of the mouth.
- True: Dental crowns are shaped like your tooth and they cover the damaged tooth just like a cap covers your head.
- True: Dental crowns can be made of metal, porcelain, porcelain-fused-to-metal, or resin.
- False: A dental implant is used to replace a missing tooth. Dental crowns are used to cover a severely decay or damaged tooth, to cover a cracked or broken tooth, to cover a worn or discolored tooth, to support a dental bridge, or to cover a dental implant.
- True: When a tooth is too damaged to hold a filling crowns are usually the treatment of choice.
- False: Crowns not only restore the appearance of the tooth, they restore its strength, size, and shape.
- True: Due to their lack of esthetics, metal crowns and porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns are used for back teeth. Porcelain and resin crowns are the treatment of choice for front dentition.
About Dr. Jeffrey Allen:
Dr. Jeffrey Allen provides comfortable dental care to patients of all ages. Call (641) 628-1121 today to schedule a checkup and cleaning, cosmetic consultation, or second-opinion visit. We are located on the west side of the historic town square in Pella, IA. Please see the map for directions.