As long as you brush your teeth twice a day and remember to floss, you may think there’s no reason to visit the dentist. Wrong! Just because you’re keeping up with your at-home dental hygiene routine and not experiencing a toothache doesn’t mean you should be skipping your twice-yearly dental check-ups and cleanings. Appointments with your dentist are vital to keep your mouth healthy. Cleanings prevent tooth decay and gum disease before they start, and exams diagnose problems as they’re occurring to treat your symptoms and prevent them from getting worse.
5 Reasons for Twice-Yearly Dental Appointments
1. Remove tartar build-up: The food and beverages you consume leave behind a sticky deposit called plaque that reacts with the bacteria in your saliva to form an acid that erodes your tooth enamel. You can help control plaque build-up by brushing and flossing daily, but the plaque you miss hardens into tartar and that cannot be removed at home. Tartar build-up on the teeth, between teeth, and along the gum line can only be removed by a dental professional. Removing tartar prevents tooth decay and gum disease, plus it improves the appearance of teeth.
2. Check for cavities: Your dentist will check for the formation of cavities. If detected, cavities need to be filled or they can expand and deepen to cause further damage to your teeth. Untreated tooth decay can worsen and require restorative dentistry treatments.
3. Brighten your smile: During a cleaning, the surface of your teeth will be gently buffed to remove build-up and surface stains. The result is a fresher, brighter smile.
4. Save time and money: By devoting a small amount of time for dental cleanings and exams every six months, you’ll prevent severe dental ailments that require much more time and money to treat. When you prevent tooth decay and gum disease, you don’t need to worry about repairing or replacing teeth with dental crowns and implants.
5. Keep your teeth and gums healthy: When your teeth and gums are healthy, you can smile with pride. Your oral health sets the stage for a healthy body.
About Dr. Jeffrey Allen & Dr. Neumann
Dr. Jeffrey Allen and Dr. Neumann provide comfortable dental care to patients of all ages. Call us at (641) 628-1121 today to schedule a checkup and cleaning, cosmetic consultation, or second-opinion visit. We are located on the west side of the historic town square in Pella, IA. Please see the map for directions, and visit Allen Family Dentistry on Google+ to leave a review.