Teeth whitening can correct teeth stains and discolorations to beautify your smile and boost your confidence. Even the straightest teeth yellow and become discolored, especially as you age, if you drink staining beverages like red wine and coffee regularly, and if you use tobacco products. Teeth whitening is an easy, affordable, and accessible solution to revitalize your dulled smile. But which teeth whitening treatment is best? You can visit your cosmetic dentist for professional teeth whitening treatment or try to whiten your smile on your own using over-the-counter products.
Quiz: Which Teeth Whitening Treatment is Best?
1. The best professional teeth whitening treatment is a quick-whitening treatment that takes place in a dental office in just one hour.
2. What results can professional teeth whitening achieve?
a. Whiten exterior teeth stains
b. Correct permanent stains caused by fluorosis
c. Both a & b
3. Over-the-counter teeth whitening is just as effective as take-home whitening treatments from your cosmetic dentist.
4. At-home teeth whitening treatment from your dentist requires the use of __________.
a. handheld UV light
b. pain-relieving medication
c. custom-made whitening trays
5. The options for teeth whitening include ___________.
a. Over-the-counter products like whitening strips, at-home whitening from the dentist, and quick in-office treatment
b. One-hour in-office treatment and over-the-counter products
c. None of the above
Review Your Answers
1. Answer: b — A one-hour in-office teeth whitening treatment may seem like the best option because it requires the shortest time commitment and you see results immediately, but we have found that quick whitening treatments dry out teeth, cause painful teeth sensitivity, and deliver short-term results. At-home teeth whitening with professional-grade whitening gel and custom-made whitening trays conducted under the guidance of your dentist is the best type of teeth whitening.
2. Answer: a — Teeth whitening helps correct exterior stains, also known as extrinsic teeth stains. Teeth whitening will not correct discolorations or stains caused by fluorosis nor will it correct intrinsic stains that develop from inside the tooth. You may want to consider porcelain veneers for permanent stains.
3. Answer: b — Over-the-counter teeth whitening products, like teeth whitening strips, are not as effective as professional teeth whitening treatment, including at-home treatment.
4. Answer: c — Custom trays are made using impressions of your teeth.
5. Answer: a — There are three main options for teeth whitening, two of which are treatments done at home, and one of which is strictly an in-office professional procedure.
ABOUT DR. JEFFREY ALLEN & DR. NEUMANN
Dr. Jeffrey Allen and Dr. Neumann provide comfortable dental care to patients of all ages. Call us at (641) 628-1121 today to schedule a checkup and cleaning, cosmetic consultation, or second-opinion visit. We are located on the west side of the historic town square in Pella, IA. Please see the map for directions, and visit Allen Family Dentistry on Google+ to leave a review.